For the Pork Shank:
• 6 Tbs. salt
• 6 Tbs. 5 peppercorn blend (Cracked)
• 4 pork fore shanks
• 4 pounds rendered duck fat
• 2 serrano chiles (rough chopped)
• 2 each Mexican canela sticks (cinnamon)
• 10 each garlic cloves
• 1 each bay leaf
Mix together mixed peppercorns and salt. Score skin on the pork shanks and dust 3 Tbs. generously with salt and peppercorn mix, reserving the other 3 Tbs. of mix.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Slowly melt the duck fat in a large saucepan to 225 degrees F. Add the pork shanks to a deep baking pan and cover pork with melted duck fat. Add remaining ingredients and cover baking pan with lid or foil. Cook in preheated oven for 3 ½ hours, or until done. Carefully remove pork from duck fat. Pat dry.
When ready to be plated add the pork into a deep fat fryer at 350 degrees F. and fry until crispy for approximately 3 minutes. Reserve for plating.
For the Salsa Verde:
• ¼ pound tomatillos (husk removed)
• 1 ea. peeled shallot (quartered)
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 4 each garlic cloves
• 2 tsp. salt
• 1 Tbs. cornstarch
• ¼ cup cilantro leaves
• ¼ cup spinach leaves
• 2 ea. fresh basil leaves
• 1 ea. poblano chile (roasted,peeled,seeded)
Place whole tomatillos, shallot, chicken broth, garlic cloves and salt in a sauce pot on medium high heat. Cook for 12 minutes. Slurry the cornstarch and add to the pot stirring until sauce slightly thickens. Turn off heat. Place sauce in a blender and add remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
For the Apple-Jicama Slaw:
• 2 each granny smith apples
• 1 each Jicama (peeled)
• 1 each small red bell pepper (seeded, cleaned)
• ½ each small red onion
• 2 Tbs. cilantro leaves (rough chopped)
• ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
• 1 tsp. salt
Core Apples skin on. Julienne cut apples, Jicama, onion and red bell pepper. Place in a bowl and add remaining ingredients.